Johannes Vermeer. On Reflection opened last month at the Gemäldegalerie Alte Meister in Dresden. The centerpiece of this exhibition is the museum’s own Girl Reading a Letter at an Open Window (1657-59), which was recently revealed after a four-year restoration project. Nine other Vermeers are included in the show, of which eight are international loans such as ‘The Little Street’ (ca. 1658) from the in Amsterdam and Woman Holding a Balance (ca.1664) from the National Gallery of Art.
The museum is organizing a series of online talks by curators of the lending institutions. Each curator discusses the Vermeer from their collection. The sessions are in English or German and are free to attend but require advance registration. Each talk is followed by a Q&A. The closing talks of the series will take place on 14 December. Please see below for the complete program with links to each event.
- 12 October: Uta Neidhardt (German)
- 26 October: Gregor Weber (German)
- 9 November: Betsy Wieseman (English)
- 23 November: Silke Gatenbröcke (German)
- 30 November: Xavier Salomon (English)
- 7 December: Friederike Schütt (German)
- 14 December: closing talks with Katja Kleinert, Bart Cornelis and Uta Neidhardt (English)