Ghent University has a vacancy for a professor in art history who specializes in the study of exhibitions and display. See below for the job description or consult this website for the full vacancy text and to apply. The deadline for applications is 16 May 2019.
Professor in Art History, Specialized in the Study of Exhibitions and Display
The Department of Art History, Musicology and Theatre Studies recruits candidates in the domain of Art History, specialized in the Study of Exhibitions and Display. The Department seeks to complement its existing expertise.
The focus should include:
- exhibition (display) as primary medium for public communication of art
- study about historical forms of exhibition and presentation in relation to innovative contemporary developments (including internet, interactive arts, virtual and augmented reality)
The Department wants high-level and innovative research profiles based on interdisciplinary “art & science” approaches (including collaboration with the artistic domain).
You will be required to teach courses within the Art History programme, including the Research seminar in the Master’s programme, and introductory and methodological courses at Bachelor level. You are expected to contribute to the development of innovative didactical forms in BA and MA education.
You develop research related to the domain of the Study of Exhibitions and Display. You involve the KROOK (Art and Science Interaction Lab) and GUM (Ghent University Museum), using VANDENHOVE (Centre for Architecture and Art) as core laboratory for research and innovation.
You provide internal and external services to the department of Art History, Musicology and Theatre Studies, the Faculty of Arts and Philosophy, and UGent.
- You have already conducted eminent academic research in the given discipline, which is clearly reflected in publications in high-quality academic journals and peer-reviewed books;
- You are capable of initiating, supervising and acquiring the necessary funding for academic research;
- You are didactically skilled to teach university students to develop academic competences;
- You have an active network in the academic world, both in teaching and in the world of museums and art institutions.
- You are willing to learn Dutch, should you not know the language at the time of the application.
- International mobility, among other things thanks to research stays at institutions external to the one where you acquired your highest academic degree.
- Positively evaluated experience in provided or organised academic lecturing.
- Professionalisation of education.
- Experience in applying for and acquiring (international) research funding and/or funding for exhibitions.
- Experience in setting up exhibitions in art institutions, at national and international level.
- Experience in using new technologies, materials and media in exhibitions.
Skills / Attitude:
- You are quality-oriented;
- You take initiative;
- You have an interdisciplinary attitude
- You are willing to translate historical and theoretical questions into practical applications (e.g. designing exhibitions)
- You hold a thesis-based doctorate or a diploma or certificate that is recognised as equivalent (article V.20 Codex Higher Education).
- Upon evaluation of a foreign (non-EU) diploma, a certificate of equivalence may still have to be requested at NARIC. If this is the case, we advise you to initiate this recognition procedure as soon as possible. You are required to have the recognition no later than on the date of your appointment.
- You have at least two years of postdoctoral experience on 1 October 2019. This term of two years is determined by the date written on the above-mentioned required diploma.
- We offer you a temporary appointment in a tenure track system for a term of five years. If positively evaluated by the University Board, the term of office will be transferred into a permanent appointment as an associate professor.
- Should you already be a member of the professorial staff or hold an equal post at another university or research institution, you can immediately be appointed as an assistant professor, without prejudice to the possibility of a temporary appointment offered in article V.28 of the Codex of Higher Education.